Thank YOU for visiting the JAGged Edge Boutique! We are so excited that you are here!
We hope you will enjoy our stories, ideas and craft products for sale. We are not just here to make a buck, this is our passion. The profits made from our crafts will be used in numerous ways…of course we will be using some to buy more crafting supplies, then there are some charities that will benefit from our sales (Hope Aid International and The Future Hope Project), and also some life events that we are looking forward to…(J) Baby #2, (A) Adoption, & (G) Wedding Bliss! You will find a PayPal link under each craft item posted for sale, if you see something you can’t live without just click that link to purchase. From there you can give us your info and any personalization details or requests you have. Thank you again for helping us on this adventure, we hope you enjoy it as much as we are!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Think outside the [BOX]

I don't know about you, but sometimes I am not so lucky when it comes to finding something I dream up in my head. I get an idea of what I want and I refuse to give up until I find just what I'm looking for...have I mentioned that I am a determined decorator?!?

My most recent project was my home office. I work from home and although it is just a part time job my office is in a high traffic area of my house so I wanted it to appear as professional as possible. I painted my desk and the walls and was super happy with how they turned out. I got my desk all set up and and organized but quickly realized that I was lacking the daily storage that I needed. I am a forgetful girl and not having the things I need in my sight leads me to forgetting them...things like bills and to do lists! :)

My goal with the new desk was to keep it streamlined, simple, and not cluttered. To try and stick with that goal I had to get creative. I did have some wall space next to my desk that was still at eye level and within reach so I decided that would be my solution to the storage need. I set out looking for the perfect storage solution...

I hit the jackpot at Joann's, they had all of their summer decorating items on super clearance, 75% off! I was able to find a wall hanging wooden storage piece regularly priced $14.99 for only $3.75! Of course I was too excited about the project and forgot to get a before picture, sorry! The piece was red and had a apple picture decoupaged onto the front of the bin. I used some metallic paint that I had to paint the wooden bin. One trick that I have learned to help my OCD when it comes to painting is to go with an overlapping brush stroke. It gives items a more textured look and also seems to provide better coverage.
Instead of covering the whole piece in the metallic paint I set out to find some paper that would coordinate with my office. I was able to find a patterned paper with colors that matched my office perfectly and also a gold fleck paper that was very similar to the paint color I used to paint the wood. Once I got the wood painted I used my scrapbook photo stickers to place the paper onto the front of the bin. I am obsessed with B's so I have quite a few iron-on's. I picked a flocked one to add some more texture to the front, I ironed the B onto the gold fleck paper and then cut the paper smaller to fit the bin. Again I used the photo stickers to attach the gold paper and TAH DAH, project complete!!

I got the creative idea....found the materials....and spent all of 20 minutes to create the project....
Just a little work and I was able to go from this empty space... to space well used! My storage solution is solved!
I have a place to store bills, to do lists, and coupons without cluttering my desk!

So see...you don't have to be a master craftsman to create the projects you dream up....think outside the box and you can find a solution!

Don't be afraid to try things on your own, or to try and recreate something you saw at your favorite store. Not only will you get the sense of pride from completing the project but you will be able to personalize it for your space!
JAG Signature.Jess

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT...LOVE IT...LOVE IT!!! So does that mean that you bought more for that price so I can have you make me one?!?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your office looks very nice. It is a total transformation from the old look and I love it!
    I have all kinds of thoughts running thru my mind now of things I can do at home. Hopefully they will not just stay thoughts but will come to fruition.
    I am so proud of you and your talents.

    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it girl! Such a great find!

    I actually have some of that paint in a lighter color. I recognized the container! ha!

    Super duper good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm...and yeah. That coupon is going to be making it's way into another post I will be doing here in the near future. I guess it's not THAT coupon, but a replica! :)

    ReplyDelete